Delivering this news comes with a heavy heart as this is the first time in 65 years that there will not be a ball season, as we know it, in Tuscola. This decision was not made lightly. The board discussed different scenarios and options regarding the safety of our ballpark kids and families during this season. Many questions and challenges are still not able to be answered, including the uncertainty of Michigan’s reopening of events such as organized sports during this public health crisis.
Some of the questions we talked over regarding safety and having a responsible ball season were:
- Could we shorten the season or push the season into later summer?
- Is there any way we can keep the 6’ distancing in softball?
- How would we be able to sanitize equipment, especially catchers, pitchers and umpire equipment?
- How can we change the concession stand set-up to keep 6’ apart?
- In addition to sanitizing the bats, balls and dug-outs, what about bathrooms and gates?
Just so much to think and questions such as these still left it uncertain how to have a safe and responsible ball season for our Tuscola kids and families.
While we take this pause from the 2020 ball season, we are committed to working with our board and volunteers to be eager and ready to be back stronger in Spring/Summer 2021!
As an organization, and after we have more direction from our state, we would like to host an event or two, hopefully, late summer.
- Maybe a mini or one-day tournament?
- Ice cream social with a “pop-up” game or two?
But we would like your ideas too, so please reach out and let us know.
For those players that 2020 season would have been your last, please note that we are working on how we can extend the 2021 season for you to play if you would like to.
Lastly, we will gladly issue you a refund for this season, or if you would like your child’s dollars to be carried over to the 2021 season, please let us know that as well.
Tuscola Softball Board members